Re: Battery Charge Time?

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Battery Charge Time?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:01:38 -0400
Hi Bob,

As I read Dan's book, he starts by making the case that you can drive a car on
a long trip -- 15/16
hours and the alternator is pushing 14.6 volts at a fully charged battery, and
you don't damage the
battery. What do these alternators put out 35 amps or so? His claim is that the
internal resistance
of the battery prevents further charging (over charging).

It also seems that you can let the car sit for weeks w/o loosing the battery
charge, and then start
it and drive it off for another 15 hours w/o damage to the battery. Some cars
are driven a lot --
Taxi in NYC for example w/o damage to the battery.

Seems to me there must be something different between what a battery charger is
doing to the battery
and what the car's alternator is doing to the battery.

V=IR. Doesn't that say that when the battery's resistance goes up the current
goes down? OK I am a
dummy about electricity, but I always thought the amperage was a function of
voltage and resistance.
You could have all the amperage in the world available -- it didn't matter --
the amperage used was
a function of voltage and resistance. So what does it matter what battery
charger's amperage is?
Maybe the charger increases the voltage when the amperage is increased?

Don Malling