Re: Bearing End Float

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bearing End Float
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:29:33 -0700
Howard---The way I measure "end float" is to take up all the slack in
the bearing cavity. This is done by tightening up the nut to where the
hub won't turn, by hand. By backing off one half of a flat, you should
find one of the two holes to insert the cotter pin. The hub should be
free to turn and have the .003 to .005 running clearance. (and the wheel
shouldn't wobble when bolted on)

Dick

Howard wrote:
I am in the process of replacing my front rotors. To remove the rotor I
had to remove the hub. I checked my Bentley's manual for specifications
for reinstalling the bearings. The book gives a specification for
bearing end float to be between 0.003" and 0.005". How does one measure
that?
Any help would be appreciated,
   Howard Orr