RE: tops

To: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tops
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:00:04 -0600
>===== Original Message From "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com> =====
>tap tap tap, Is this thing on??
>
>Apologies to anyone tired of this topic, but nobody has seemed to understand
>my question.
>
>Referenced owners manual as mentioned. My technique is as described except
>for one thing. I fold in the quarter windows over the top, which is folded
>out over the trunk lid, before rolling the whole thing into the storage
>area. The manual shows rolling the top into the storage area, and then kinda
>of rotating the quarter windows down over the top, thus leaving the outside
>of these windows up. I can see how this doesn't quite place the same stress
>fold right at that lower rear corner that my technique does. However, the
>whole thing kinda seems folded wierd and I can see would require
>installation of the cover boot every time, which I almost never do.
>
>So, again. I think my 'slightly modified' technique would be improved by the
>addition of a fourth snap, which when all 4 are un-snapped, would allow the
>quarter window to not have a small fold on that bottom rear corner.
>QUESTION: Does anybody have any experience with a similar technique and the
>possibility off a fourth snap?
>
>In the mean time, I will experiment with the 'by the book' procedure
>further. Maybe I shouldn't put down the zip-out rear window first, as I
>always do, thinking I'm protecting it somewhat.
>
>Thanks for all the different suggestions, and the reference to the manual.
>
>Sloane :)
>'69-Six CC26455L

 I've always seen it as more of a "fold" than a "roll". Regardless... yes the
quarter windows do then lay exposed on top of the collapsed hood allowing them
to sometimes flap in the breeze if you don't use the cover. Since my top stays
down most of the time I either have the tonneau or boot cover on to give it
that cleaner appearance.

 I have not seen anyone attempt the "fourth snap" but somebody has to be
first. Give it a try and let us know how it works. Maybe it will be the next
"it" modification.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)