caliper pistons

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: caliper pistons
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:01:11 EDT
Listers:

I posted a note a few days ago that I removed the brake shims and used
anti-squeal compound on the backs of the pads.  That seemed to get rid of  the
squeal.  However, a couple of days later the squeal was back.  I  decided to
use
the shims with the anti-squeal spray.

My question is this:  How do you get the caliper pistons back into the
caliper to allow a thicker pad assembly to fit compared to what you  removed?
This
must be a problem any time you remove worn (thin) brake pads  and replace
them with new (thick) ones.  I did open the cap on the master  cylinder, tie a
rag around the opening, and used a large, flat-blade screwdriver  to try to
push
the pistons in.  It didn't seem to budge anything, and I  didn't want to
damage the pistons or the discs.  I ended up tapping the  pads/shims back in
with
a hammer, but that chewed up the lower edge of the pads  somewhat.  I'm sure
there is a better solution.

Thanks.  BTW, the squeal is gone again, at least for now...

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U