RE: FW: Ignition Timing anomaly

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: FW: Ignition Timing anomaly
From: Dave Murray <murr32@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:29:25 -0700
Dick,

I'm not sure the drivability issue and the timing anomaly are related,
though they could very well be and most likely are; I suppose the
drivability issue could be fuel related also.  When the car behaved poorly
on this last run I started by checking the basics, such as timing.  This is
when I noticed the problem with the timing marks being so far off.  The
springs in the dizzy are intact, and allow the breaker plate to move
correctly after dismantling and cleaning, there was some slight binding
before I cleaned everything.  The car starts and idles smoothly and
adjusting the timing by rotating the distributor produces the expected
results w.r.t. engine speed and vacuum.  You mention a possible cause being
the damper pulley coming loose between the hub and outer ring, is this
something I can check (and fix) easily?

Dave

P.S.  I am currently running a Crane XR700 electronic ignition instead of
points.