RE: electrical musing (not really LBC)

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: electrical musing (not really LBC)
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:13:36 -0800 (PST)
I'll buzz in on this one. The 'cold-heat' soldering iron probably isn't the
best idea to be using on fine pitch surface mount electronics. If you look
closely at the tip of the 'cold-heat' you will see that it is split. The way
these "irons" really work is to pass a current through the part actually being
soldered. Then heat is generated in the tip and the piece your working due to
that current. The rub is that you don't really want to put that +6V on your
circuit because if you happen to bump into another lead on a chip while you're
soldering you could toast that chip. So probably a no go for sensitive PCB
work, of course I don't think they were trying to market the 'cold-heat' to
electronics engineers anyway. Could work great in certain applications though.

Kendall
San Clemente, CA

*disclaimer, I've not actually used the 'cold-heat' myself.