RE: interior kits

To: "'John VanNorman'" <jvannorman@wowway.com>,
Subject: RE: interior kits
From: "Robert Liam Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:37:41 -0500
ORIGINAL MESSAGE: I'll be looking at redoing the interior on my 74 1/2 TR6
in the near future.  At this point in time, I'm trying to
figure out the best route to go (i.e., what is the best value for the
money).  I've got samples on order from Moss,
TRF, and VB (although I'm not sure if VB will come through since the lady I
spoke with wasn't really up to snuff on
their products).  Right now the "biscuit" interior kit from VB is in the
color range I'm looking at and seems to be a
pretty good value for the money, but I'm not sure on the quality (I don't
need show quality materials, but I don't want
something that looks terrible).  I've been going through the archives to get
some information, but wanted to see what
the current consensus is. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions,
recommendations, warnings, etc. please share.
John V.

MY THOUGHTS: Years ago when I did the 74 TR6, I purchased a kit though MOSS.
It was far better than I had in before. I think not enough of the edges
where bound. These edges show.

I had purchased a set of cut pile for my TR3 from MOSS. Product was inferior
than the one purchased for the TR6. I sold it at a small loss.

I purchased a new kit from TRF, special order through Magic Carpet. More
expensive but far better quality, with nicely bound edges. I have not
installed yet so I am not sure of the fit. Body still being worked on.

I think the moral here is, you get what you pay for.

My latest and greatest endeavor with carpet is 1968 Morris Mini. Having put
a kit from Moss in my friends Austin Healy Sprite and that he liked my work,
I took that and all my other experiences with carpets and did my own carpet
in the Mini.

I bought eight feet of black automotive carpet from my local auto
upholsterer. The quality is very good. The carpet company is "Three Rivers
and the pile is listed as Bentley. I cut the pieces and put backing where
ever there seemed to be a need. Not being allowed to use my wife's sewing
machine, I marked the edges I wanted bound and took them to the upholsterer
who bound them in nice black heavy duty material. Looks absolutely first
class. Worth every bit of $85.

Robert L. Gannon
http://home.comcast.net/~trsix74/wsb/index.html