Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?

To: red_tr250@yahoo.com, quicksilver_rising@yahoo.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:42:59 EST
In a message dated 1/19/2006 12:16:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
red_tr250@yahoo.com writes:

>  A Black TR250 won best of
> show 2 years ago.  Very original car...though I don't
> think the car was originally black, but it was done
> "right".

That would be Dr. Keith Bryson's car and he swears Black was an original
color for TR250's. At first I questioned it but he has me convinced.  It is
very
original but seldom driven. Originally the car was restored modified but then
Keith restored it back to original.  Imagine that!

For sure the guy's with Black TR's are always the first ones up on show day
cleaning and polishing.

Although the majority of my fleet are original TR's ( 9 of 11), the last
restoration I took on, a 68/70 GT6+, is "no rules modified".  I feel it is much
more difficult to restore a TR to original shape than it is to simply modify
it.
 I spent years looking for my full set of stripped hoses for the TR250 which
when I started was going to be modified but ended up original.  Since some
original parts are scarce nowadays I think if one is into original then it is
best to start with the absolute best original car you can find.  Several of
mind
including the 63 TR3B have never been off the frame and that is possibly why I
keep them original.

I have a 63 TR4 now that is very original but needs everything restored. I am
leaning towards a Driver Four.  It is just too hard and expensive to go for
the Concours Winner anymore. Working on them and driving them is where the fun
is anyway.

My 2 Cents,
Darrell