Clutchs Laycock & Borg & Beck

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutchs Laycock & Borg & Beck
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:40:56 -0500
Hi All-

I was out the the garage this evening and started to fit my new pressure
plate to my resurfaced flywheel in preparation for balancing and a I have
some questions.

I decided to replace my clutch assy for a couple of reasons:

a.) I had to pull the tranny to have it and the OD rebuilt and it seems like
maybe a good idea, "While I am in there".
b.) The clutch plate is a Borg and Beck with the straight fingers.  There is
a pronounced circular wear groove on the fingers.
c.) I may have had some oil leakage on the clutch and plate.

I ordered a new Borg and Beck clutch and Gunst bearing.  My old clutch was a
Laycock even though the plate was a B&B (DPO).
Comparing the new B&B clutch to the old Laycock, it appears that the Laycock
has more frictional area.  Check my math as I am unreliable.

B&B and Laycock OD = 215 mm
Area = PI * (21.5cm)^2/4 = 363.05cm2

B&B ID of frictional area = 15.5cm
B&B ID Cross sectional area = PI*(15.5cm)^2/4 = 188.69 cm2
B&B Frictional Area = 363.05 - 188.69 = 174.36cm2

Laycock ID of frictional area = 14.5cm
Laycock ID Cross sectional area = PI*(14.5cm)^2/4 = 165.13cm2
Laycock Frictional Area = 363.05 - 165.13 = 197.92

B&B vs. Laycock driven surface area difference = (197.92-188.69)*2 =
18.46cm2 / 377.38cm2 *100%= 4.89%

It seems to me that the new B&B clutch has nearly 5% less frictional area
than the Laycock.  Am I splitting hairs here?

My new B&B pressure plate has cranked fingers and a blue spot.  What is the
difference between a blue spot and a yellow spot clutch?

Thanks
John Cyg.
CC52927LO