RE: Inner axle shafts

To: "'Navarrette, Vance'" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Inner axle shafts
From: "Joseph Grant" <z28quetzal@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:16:32 -0500
"...cold welding together (with enough pressure, the metal will bond to
itself as if it had been welded..."

Hmmmm......

There is such a thing as a "locking taper".  Any taper with a 7 degree or
less angle is termed as a "locking taper".  My cousin owns a machine shop
and he has explained this to me.  This is the case with the hubs on TR6's
and Spitfires.  That is part of the reason they are so hard to take apart...

Regards,
Joe