RE: Basic Lockup?

To: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>,
Subject: RE: Basic Lockup?
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:44:56 -0400
Five feet is pretty much one revolution of the wheels. I would tend to suspect
that you have a broken tooth or whatnot in the differential and the loose bit
got stuck in the crown gear That would jam the diff to letting you roll back
and forth on a 5 foot space, but would not affect shifting. Your maneuvering
at the roadside crunched up or shifted the bit from the gear and now it's
working again. For now...

I just can't remember whether you would have been able to roll one revolution,
or 1/2 rev with the problem I describe. Either way a wonky diff brings you
closer to the distance you describe than problmens in the transmission which
would turn 3 1/2 times more in the same distance which would seem to cover all
the periphery of the gears being clean.

Cheers,

Mark
(just had my diff rebuilt for similar situation)