Re: What's it worth?

To: Joe Powers <jpowers316@msn.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's it worth?
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 18:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
Joe:

  I don't think most of us could give you an accurate estimate of the car's
worth without some pictures, so I won't try either. That said, I would ask if
you've ever undertaken a project of this magnitude before? If you have, then
you should already have a good idea of what it would take to bring the car up
to your standards. And you'd know that it's unlikely that you'd come out ahead
on the investment you make in the car. If you want to make money on this car,
walk away. It's unlikely to happen.

  If you've never done a project like this before, I would again advise you to
walk away, unless you have already have a fortune in tools and equipment, and
the necessary skills to do much of the work yourself. The TR250 is a desirable
car coveted by by many enthusiasts, but I've never seen anyone make money
selling one after doing a complete professional restoration. They do not at
this time have the cachet like Healy's and Jag's to attract the buyers with big
money. And as long as a buyer can get a VERY nice TR6 for less than $20K, which
has identical performance and sound, the willingness of mere mortals like us to
part with $30K+ for a restored TR250 will be limited. The major exception is
the 250's British cousin, the TR5.

  Sorry to sound like a scolding father, but I hate to see someone get in over
his head and walk away sadder and poorer. I've just recently finished up
spending $8000 on a TR6 I bought for $9000. If I were sell it now, even with
the fresh paint, a rebuilt overdrive and a new interior, I doubt I'd get my
money back. As long as you understand what you're in for with this car and go
into it with expecting to find "surprises" then by all means move forward. I'd
love to see another jewel saved from the scrap yard!

  Regards,
  Jim

(snip)