The timing issue - vacuum retard capsules

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: The timing issue - vacuum retard capsules
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 07:55:36 -0700
        Rick:

        The vacuum retard capsules go belly up somewhere around the
20 year mark =:-o  The internal diaphragm dries out and splits,
disabling the retard and creating a vacuum leak.
        Unfortunately, the later style retard capsules are no longer
available best I can tell. You can, however, order the earlier style
capsules and cut off the threaded rod. The earlier and later capsules
are
identical except for the threaded rod. To remove the capsule you will
need to drive out a tiny roll pin (1/32"???) that secures the capsule
and disconnect the spring linkage.
        If you modify the earlier capsule to use on your dizzy, it will
not have the tiny hole needed to reinsert the roll pin. You can drill
one (I didn't have much success with this - too difficult to get it
in the correct location with a hand drill) or you can drill and tap
your dizzy for a set screw. The ghetto fix is to not worry about the
roll pin or a set screw at all. The spring linkage will keep the capsule

in position all by itself, thank you. Do NOT ask how I know.
        I ordered my "old" capsule from Vicky Brit, but Moss carries
them
too. TRF carries one of them, but I can't tell if it is the earlier or
later style, and they may well put you on back order in any event.

        Vance