Re: Rear Inner bracket bushing bolt reversal

To: rgperry@earthlink.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Inner bracket bushing bolt reversal
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:07:30 EDT
 I'm sure you've figured out that once the trailing arm is installed, the
only way to remove the hinge bolts that goes through the trailing arms to
remove
the trailing arm by taking off the brackets  It makes sense that the reason
they are installed in this orientation is to prevent the suspension from
falling
apart if the nut some how works it's way off.  Be sure to check the lengths
of the bolts supplied with the Richard Good kit before assembling the
suspension.  Per Richards intrucitons, I  loosely installed the brackets then
installed
and oriented the trailing arms. I then installed the half shafts etc...  When
I went to torque the bolts that secure the brackets through the frame, I
found the bolts to be too short.  I didn't have enough threads to clear the
Nyloc.
 I ended up removing two shims from each bracket mounting point (leaving only
one).  This shortened my wheel base by 1/8", but at least I didin't have to
take everything apart to install longer bolts.  The nuts are just past the
nyloc, and I feel compelled to check them frequently. I would feel a lot better
if
there was 1/4" of threads beyond the nyloc.  If you need more than one or two
shims to give you the correct wheel base, you may need longer bolts.
Joe Davis