Rear hub large stub nut 1 1/8" backing off

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear hub large stub nut 1 1/8" backing off
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:22:32 EDT
Super list,
I found my rear left tire a bit loose by pulling it in and out recently. It
sounded/felt like a loose bearing or possibly a u-joint in the half shaft
going  south. I pulled the wheel and brake drum to inspect. I found the hub
securely  attached by 6x nuts to the trailing arm so that one was eliminated,
thank
goodness. I checked all 6x nuts and they were snug as well for good  measure.
But I then found I could pull in and out the stub about  1/8" which means the
bearings were loose. I could turn by hand the large 1 1/8"  nut nearly by
hand. For some reason this nut backed off under load.

I tightened it back up to the Bentley spec of 90-110 ft/lbs. But am still
wondering why this nut backed off. I do not recall ever messing with this nut
before. I did snug up the inner dual nuts and locking plate on the other side
of  the bearings sometime last year on this half shaft, but never messed with
the  outer side of the stub. Luckily I only put limited miles on the car in
this  loose condition. Eventually I planned to have the rear hubs rebuilt but
not
at  this time.

Any ideas to why it backed off? Any recommendations for hub rebuilding? I
plan on finding Hardy Spicer u-joints when I do the hubs.

Thanks,
MRankin, 1971 TR6 CC61212L