Re: TR6 crank pulley -

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 crank pulley -
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:26:53 -0700
Bud---All is not lost. You can transfer the timing marks from the old
pulley to the new one. You can tell if the old one has "slipped" from
its original location by the position of the "zero" degree hash mark.
This widest of marks  should be eight degrees from the center of the
keyway that's milled into the center of the pulley hub. Run a straight
edge up from the center of the keyway to the outside diameter of the
pulley and scribe a line. This line should coincide with 8 deg. ATDC on
the pulley.
You can do the same with the unmarked pulley. When the engine's #1
piston is at TDC, the pulley keyway is also at TDC, and the pointer on
the timing chain cover (which is off-set) will be pointing right at Zero
degrees.

You can then make the new marks with a set of numbers punches, if you
like, noting the space between each hash mark. OR, take both the new and
old to a shop that can transfer the numbers to the new pulley. Just tell
them that you want the 8 deg. ATDC to coincide with the centerline of
the keyway.

Write back if this is too muddy!

Dick

From:
levilevi@comcast.net(levilevi)

 Where's the timing marks? Now what?
BlankList,
I bought a crank pulley (harmonic damper) from Moss but they apparently
didn't think that telling people that the pulley doesn't come with
timing marks was important. It certainly wasn't mentioned in their
catalog or by the salesperson when I called to order one.
So now what should I do? Etch some marks to match my old broken crank
pulley (which God only knows if its slipped on the rubber between the
two pieces)? Take it to a machine shop to have it marked? Any
suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)