RE: Ignition timing at high RPM

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition timing at high RPM
From: Dave Murray <murr32@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:28:51 -0600
Dick,

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the timing chain, etc.  I will
definitely check.

Some additional information I stupidly left out:

Engine has just been completely rebuilt including timing gears and chain.
Modifications include:
Goodparts GP2 cam and 1.65:1 roller rockers
0.030" oversize pistons
Head milled to provide just under 10:1 compression
Head ported as per Kastner competition manual
Headers and free flow exhaust

I have also tried new cap, shaved rotor, several different coils, and new
plug wires.

Found a combination that allows the car to pull strongly from 2k up to 5k
rpm:  points, alternate distributor (not original), Magnecor plug wires, new
cap, shaved rotor, bypass coolant through intake manifold, however the
timing instability is still present (at idle also), the car does not want to
idle smoothly and will stall on occasion, and is extremely sluggish up to 2k
rpm even with no load.

Dave