RE: Goodparts GP2 cam,.....

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>,
Subject: RE: Goodparts GP2 cam,.....
From: Dave Murray <murr32@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:43:39 -0600
Dick,

Video is available showing the Plug #1 misfire:
http://members.shaw.ca/djmds/.  See Comments below...

Dave---You may have already done this, but if you still have this
misfire, try going over these steps again.
Occasional misfire on the same plug wire needs to be traced backwards.
The sparkplug itself plays no part in this, if the timing light shows a
misfire.
Exchange this #1 wire with one of the other plug wires to see if the
misfire follows the wire.

[Dave]I have swapped the plug wires; the misfire stays on plug #1.

Flex the wire as the timing light blinks.  =8 - #

[Dave] Tried this but can discern no correlation.

Stop the engine so #1 is on TDC, or 10 deg. before. Take off the dist.
cap. The rotor tip should be in position at #1 plug wire cap tower.
There should the no doubt that this is the wire that's going to get the
voltage transfer.

[Dave] I have not done this as of yet, but tried a rotor modified to a
straight bar - no "L" shaped tip.  This did not resolve the issue.

It would be rare for just one plug wire to misfire, if the problem was
from spark scatter, or the rotor being out of phase. Move the timing
light to other wires long enough to confirm that is the only plug not
getting spark. Shine the light so it picks up a fan blade. (Also good to
see if the variation occurs equally)

[Dave] I have moved the timing light to other wires and all seem stable.

Hang in there. You'll probably smack your forehead when you discover the
answer!

Dick