Re: Now that I have the Mallory -

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Now that I have the Mallory -
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:08:15 -0700
Andy---Happy Birthday! Sort of...I'd set the timing at 10 deg. BTDC at
idle speeds around 800rpm, and let the Mallory centrifugal advance do
it's thing as the engine speeds up.  You can follow the chart in the
Bentley if you can, or want to, alter the Mallory advance curve. I will
assume that the "24" is in crankshaft degrees.

Ignition timing can be set without a strobe light. (Although more
bother) It's sometimes known as static timing. The idea here is to
connect a test light between the wire going to the coil neg, terminal
and the battery + post. Move the engine over slowly "by hand" and watch
the timing marks on the pulley. If you want the timing at, say, 10 deg.
BTDC, stop the engine with the pointer here. Rotate the distributor body
till the test light just goes out. This is when the coil sends it's
stored charge to the distributor.  (Somebody holler if I got this
backwards)

Dick

Sender: owner-6pack@autox.team.net From:
apackard68@comcast.net(Andrew Packard) Date: Mon, Jul 3, 2006, 10:16pm
To: 6pack@autox.team.net ('6pack') Subject: Now that I have the Mallory
- timing quesion
Today is my birthday, so I thought I'd take a ride in the Bay Area
mountains. I went about 25 miles to get to the mountain roads to take me
towards home. After a quarter mile into climbing the first hill, the car
shut down. I think I need to adjust my carburetors!! Just kidding, it
was an ignition issue, most likely the coil. My local LBC mechanic
sourced one locally and will be able to put it in tomorrow. I'm not sure
why a coil would go out. It was a two year old Petronix Flamethrower
unit. While waiting for the flatbed tow truck, I switched out the dist
cap, rotor, no change. I then pulled the Petronix out and put in my
spare set of points, still nothing. Testing later showed power going
into the coil, but none coming out during starting. I guess we'll know
with a new coil. Unfortunately, there was not a spare around to test our
hypothesis.
I'll also be working with my LBC mechanic on the Mallory Unilite dizzy.
Drilling the shaft for the drive dog is beyond my scope of tools, and
getting help with timing always seems to be helpful. I'll surely show my
ignorance when I ask the list for help with the timing settings. I
understand stock settings of 4 ATDC at idle. I don't understand the
"static" setting of 10 BTDC.   I understand that the timing should
advance as higher rpms are reached, but I don't what the proper advance
should be. Should all these guidelines be thrown out with my set up
described below? What should I be looking for with the new dizzy
installed?
So, here is the info on my setup: Compression ratio between 9.5 and
10:1. GP2 cam with 1.65 roller rockers. Rimflow valves, 6-3-1 pulse
header, triple weber carbs, vales gapped at .015 and .017, spark plugs
gapped at .035, Sport coil, new Mallory Unilite dizzy with
24
degrees mechanical advance. I prefer top end power, but a balance is
good too.
Andy Packard
CD6746L-T(O) (Toyota Overdrive)