Re: Lug Nut Size

To: jjerrel@copper.net
Subject: Re: Lug Nut Size
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:22:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 jjerrel@copper.net wrote:

> Hi.  I am in the process of buying new alloy wheels for my TR6.  When
> placing the order, the salesman asked the lug nut size?  I did not
> know.  He looked up his spec sheet and said it was 7/16 and we went
> with that.  I am curious if they are 7/16?  I measured and it seems
> they are either 7/16 or 3/8?  I would appreciate anyone confirming
> the correct size in case I need to call and change my order which is
> on backorder for about 3/4 weeks.  Thanks.

TR6 uses 7/16-20 threads for the wheel studs.

Of course Triumph could never do the usual thing and have the nuts be
3/4"... no - they have to use 7/8 nuts. Why? Who knows, maybe to
accomodate those plastic rings to hold the center cap in place.

I always though it was funny to have to use a different size nut though.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx