Re: Decarbonizing Pistons

To: JOHN JOHNSON <john70350@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Decarbonizing Pistons
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, JOHN JOHNSON wrote:

> Hey List, While I have my cylinder head off mt TR6 I thought it to be a good
> time to decarbonize the pistons. What is the best way to do that and not
> damage anything? John Johnson 1974 TR6 Cf28816U

Pay a professional.

:-)

All kidding aside, you can scrape the cruft off the top of the piston with
a single edge blade or a gasket scraper. Just raise each hole to the top
of the stroke and go slow and "cut" at low angles so you don't dig into
the (soft) aluminium. If you wind up "dinging" a piston top, take some
time and smooth out the edges of the ding as much as possible so you don't
make any hot spots.

You can use a wire brush for this job, but the chunks get so small that
you'll get a lot of it falling down in the space between the piston top
and the first ring land. You need to vacuum this stuff out of there or you
will have ring problems once the motor starts.

regards,
rml
CF14111U
CR1871UO
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx