RE: dashboard finish

To: <samuelsma@aol.com>, <rmweber_99@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: dashboard finish
From: "Joseph Grant" <z28quetzal@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:59:03 -0400
I've been reading this thread and I find it interesting the different
opinions on wood.  The dash on my TR6 was made with a solid slab of bird's
eye maple, not a veneer.  The original board was too thick, so I had a local
furniture maker plane the board to the right thickness.  After all the holes
were bored out for the instruments and the board shaped to look like a dash,
I sanded it down with different passes of fine sandpaper and eventually
steel wool with Tung oil.  This gave the wood a very smooth finish.  To
finally top it off I used some good quality furniture wax.  Sure, from time
to time I'll have to rub some more wax but the look from the dash is very
'natural'.  I am very pleased with the results.

Joe