torque

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: torque
From: Jimandruthhome@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:00:16 EDT
Hi,
Fairly certain that it is proper to use torque as either noun or verb,  I
decided to do the desperate deed and actually look it up in a  dictionary.  The
Oxford English Dictionary, which I imagine all of  us can accept as
authoritative, tells us that torque, as used in  physics and mechanics, may be
either a
noun or a transitive verb.

I did learn something new, which is why after many, many years  of conversing
and writing in English I still enjoy looking up words:

Torque as above is derived from Latin.  However there is an entirely
different meaning and derivation (French) for this English word.  In this
case, it
means an ornament formed from twisted metal worn around the neck.

So now I get Mark's joke.  Always hate to miss out on a  joke.

Jim Knight