RE: oil pressure

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>
Subject: RE: oil pressure
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:30:27 -0700
        Michael:

        The oil pressure sounds low for 20W-50, but on the money for
10W-30.
The hot rodders rule of thumb is 10PSI/1000RPM. That is OK as a
guideline,
but what makes the engine work is flow, not pressure. You can have
great oil pressure, but if an oil gallery is plugged there will be no
flow and
something is going to break.
        The load on the engine is not as important as the RPMs for oil
pressure.
Cold, my car (with 10W-30) runs 60-70PSI at about 3,000 RPM. Hot, it is
more like
50PSI at 3,000RPM, which is plenty. If you have medium or high mileage
on your
bottom end expect pressure to be a bit lower.
        When idling, my car drops to maybe 20-25PSI, which is very close
to your
hot idle number.
        What I get a kick out of is when I start the motor. The oil
pressure
hits full pressure one heartbeat after I start the motor. Great stuff.

        Vance