Re: 6 Pack Digest V1 #1958

To: mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 6 Pack Digest V1 #1958
From: John Dombey <jdombey@infoscapecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:47:05 -0700
Mike,

After I rebuilt my engine a few years back, I found that I had oil weeping from
the filler cap on my alloy valve cover (black, 'triumphtune' logo - I think
from moss, but it's starting to be a long time ago...)  I tried everything I
could think of with the crankcase breather setup (it's a '69, so it's pretty
basic), even leaving it open to atmosphere.  The fix turned out to be sealing
the tiny vent hole in the cap itself.  Someone on the list suggested it and I
thought 'yeah, sure', but as I had tried everything else I could think of - why
not?  I cleaned it really well, then used a high-wattage soldering iron to
close it up with just a dab of solder, figuring it would be easy to reverse if
I wanted to, and it wasn't likely to drop any bits into the engine.  Short
story is that it hasn't weeped since, nor did the seepage migrate to somewhere
else.  Weird.  Of course, now it has been long enough (about 4 years) that the
cover gasket needs to be replaced as it is seeping at th!
 e back (wasn't someone going to make neoprene gaskets for this?).

Give it a try - what's to lose?

Oh, regarding the external feed - I'm one of those who had excessive smoking
with it installed (fresh rebuild, no valve stem seals).  I was getting cranky
with my machinist (who is really quite good) and he suggested that there was
too much oil up there with the external feed.  He was right.  Of course, if I
were running high $ roller rockers, I'd for sure be using the external feed and
addressing the problem with stem seals.

Take care,

John Dombey
'69 TR6