Re: 10% Ethanol

To: Pimento73@aol.com
Subject: Re: 10% Ethanol
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:18:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 Pimento73@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/18/2006 9:37:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> stuartt@tlthompson.com writes:
>
> Could  today's gasoline (with a mix of 10% ethanol) have any harmful effect on
> a  system originally built to run on leaded gasoline?  Should I be  adding
> anything to the fuel when I fill up? I'm just curious to see what  others  are
> doing, if anything
>

> Isn't 10% ethanol forced on the public only in the greater Dallas area -  and
> maybe a few other markets?
> on the long drive to and from Dallas (from NC) for VTR, Dallas is the  only
> place i saw 10% ethanol.

Pretty much every state that has mandated oxengenated fuel is using 10%
ethanol. It replaces the MTBE (or is it MBTE...) as the oxegenator. For us
in the northeast, it's been required since the early 90's.

Answering the initial question: the 10% ethanol fuel works fine. Note that
these motors are not high tech in any way and a stock late TR6 with 7.75:1
compression motor would have absolutely no problem with the fuel. The
thing to watch for is that if your fuel tank has water in it, the Ethanol
might not mix properly and you might see fuel related problems, but the
fix is easy - purge the fuel system and then just use the newer fuel. If
you've joined the ranks of increased compression and all that stuff, the
proper octane should be used. Also note that Ethanol has less BTU's per
unit, so your fuel mileage will go down a tad because of the fuel mix.

> Cheers
> Jack Mc

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489