stumble

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: stumble
From: Colin Thom <colinthom@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:06:47 -0800
Hi Gang..best of the season to y'all. Here's the rub: My car's got a
low-end misfire/stumble. Every now and then when I'm pulling away from a
dead stop, there's nothing there. It'll stall or come real close to it.
Adding some choke does NOT help. If it does stall, it starts almost
right away. From a dead stop, if I hold the revs up at about a 1000-1200
while letting the clutch out real easy, I'm OK.  Once I get past 1500
rpm or so it's fine, but it'll fart and complain all the way up there.
At cruising speed at rpm's north of 2500, it runs like a top. Throttle
response is sweet and it'll pull a hill like it should. It idles fine.
If I blip the throttle at idle, it responds, but not so well if there's
a load on the engine. The carbs are sync'd enough not to make a
difference. Timing is about 16 before (cam is 270 duration so this
advanced timing is good, historically). I'm pertronics-equipped and at
idle it's giving me 37 deg of dwell, which may or may not mean anything.
I'm wondering if the float valves are acting up, but I really, really,
really don't want to pull the carbs if I don't have to. Vance: I already
dropped a cat onto the fan, and that didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks as
always. colinthom@shaw.ca