Re: Valve cover oil residue

To: samuelsma@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valve cover oil residue
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:35:15 -0800
Michael----Running a hose from the valve cover vent tube directly to the
intake manifold usually produces a lot of oil being sucked into the
engine. Without the factory emission control system in place, some other
means of controling this high vacuum pull is necessary, such as a PCV
valve from the early TR6 is recommended.
If the engine is not otherwise vented other than the small hole in the
valve cover oil cap, it will blow out oil such as you described.
The quick but hokey way out of this is to run a hose from the valve
cover vent tube into some kind of a vessal, like one of those plastic
condiment squeeze bottles. This will collect whatever comes out of the
engine and should reduce or eliminate the blowby pressure that is
fouling your cover.
Another cap will not likely stop this oil-out. If it does, crankcase
pressure will find another way out, believe me!
The proper way to do this is to route this blowby so that it is
re-consumed by a running engine.

Dick

From:
samuelsma@aol.com

Listers:
I have a lovely finned aluminum valve cover on my '76. After a good
drive, however, I get some oil residue that has come from under the oil
filler cap and spreads along the crevices between the ridges toward the
front and back of the engine. It isn't a lot of oil by any means, but it
is time-consuming to clean because I need to take the corner of a rag or
paper towel and wipe it along the crevices lengthwise, one at a time.
The hold-down bolts make this even harder.
There is a vent tube from the valve cover to the intake manifold, and I
think this is open. I will check the vent tonight with a light and a
piece of wire. Assuming that it vents OK, is there anything else to
check? Do they all do this? Should I get a new oil filler cap?
Thanks.
Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U