Re: [6pack] Oil Filter Canister leak

To: haeg1@mninter.net (jhaeg)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Oil Filter Canister leak
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 16:57:13 -0700
 Joh H.---It is possible to have an oil leak originating from the
canister bolt head area, but the amount you describe seems excessive to
be coming from here. There is a thick, rubber-like spacer that is inside
the canister that is supposed to seal off the opening between the bolt
and the hole it goes thru. The bi-pass oil pressure spring and its mate
hold this rubber washer in place.
 It will show up in the TR parts catalogue, if you want to order the
standard size.

The descripton of how you installed your filter sounds correct, with the
smaller end toward the block and the larger end towards the bolt head.
The bowl-shaped metal piece fits into this larger end of the filter. If
the filter should plug up from excessive dirt, the "bowl" will compress
the spring and oil will pass around the filter, to the engine.

 By the way, the Bentley description on the oil flow in this area
(arrows) looks incorrect to me.

Any chance that the canister is not seating ALL the way around the block
and its O-ring? This is easily missed, esp. at the bottom, unless one
starts with a clean area and looks at it from underneath with a good
light.

More info available on how to ensure sealing, if requested.

Dick

 From: haeg1@mninter.net(jhaeg)

 My TR6 recently started leaking oil (more than normal). I had oil drips
every 2 feet on the driveway as I pulled into the garage, and a small
pool of oil would appear if I just idle the engine. Not good.
- It seemed to be coming from the oil filter area. I assumed that I had
a leak between the canister and the engine block. I proceeded to do my
spring oil change with filter, and I made sure I removed and replaced
the rubber ring, and got the canister fitted properly and tight. I still
had the leak.
- With the engine running, I checked things out a little closer with a
light and a mirror. It is leaking from the oil filter canister, but not
where it mates to the engine block. It is either coming from a pin hole
on the side of the canister (this seems unlikely), or it is weeping from
around the bolt head.

A few questions:
1) Is there supposed to be a fiber washer or something similar to
prevent oil leakage from around the bolt head? If yes, is this on the
inside or outside of the canister?

2) I'm not positive the oil filter is installed correctly. Maybe it is
in backwards, and this is creating excessive oil pressure inside the
canister. I believe the Bentley manual shows the slightly enclosed end
of the filter going toward the engine block, so that is how I installed
the filter.
Any help with this problem is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John H. in Minneapolis