RE: [6pack] new member

To: <KingR44916@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] new member
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:06:44 -0700
        King:

        I saw several replies regarding the switch for the brake lights,
but it also occurred to me that you may be referring to the brake
warning light on the dash.

        That is controlled by the PDWA assembly, which is a brass
doohickey below the vacuum servo for the brakes. It has 4 brake lines
going into it from the sides, and one wire attached to it from the top.
It is mounted on the inner fender below the servo.
        If the light is staying on the internal shuttle is off center.
This can occur when bleeding the brakes, or if one of the two brake
circuits has failed. Most often it is the former, but if the car has sat
for a while it is possible that you have a brake problem that has
triggered the light.
        To reset the light, disconnect the wire, then unscrew the
plastic switch mounted in the top of the PDWA. You should see a small
hole underneath the switch. If there is any visible brake fluid present,
your PDWA has sprung a leak, and needs to be rebuilt.
        Use a small screwdriver to reach down into the small hole.
Underneath this hole is the shuttle, which will be displaced either
forward or backward inside the PDWA. GENTLY lever the shuttle until it
is centered under the hole. You will need to do this by feel, and by
levering the screw driver back and forth you will feel it engage the
shuttle and you will feel the shuttle move. When the shuttle is centered
reinstall the switch and reconnect the wire.
        The brake light will now be out. BTW, this has NOTHING to do
with the operation of the brake lights on the tail of the car. It only
controls the brake light on the dash.
        If the brake light comes back on when you operate the brakes,
you will need to find and correct your brake problem before driving the
car.

        Vance