Re: [6pack] Tr6 Rear Disc Brake Project, Any Interest?

To: "'Robert N. Clark'" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>, "'Watson, Don'"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tr6 Rear Disc Brake Project, Any Interest?
From: "Joseph Grant" <grant@bowtie6.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 21:48:50 -0500
The setup on my TR6 is very similar to the one Don came up with.  I've had
mine for two years of actual use.

When I built mine, I had the original steel wheels mounted.  The calipers do
not work with the stock wheels.  The calipers will rub the inside rim.  So,
aftermarket will be required.

As far as the geometry, I don't think you should have any issues with that.
In my setup, the mounting plates are not as thick, and I do not have to use
different studs.  I also have my calipers mounted on the top rather than on
the bottom.  I would highly think about the 'bottom' mount because that is
in the way of dust, water, and this could prevent the pads from proper
operation.  Just something to think about.

You can see more about my setup here:
http://www.bowtie6.com/tr6_pics/brakes/Gallery1/index.html

BTW:  I have over 6000 miles on my brake setup with no problems.  Seriously,
this is the only way to go.  Also, the use of a proportioning valve is
highly recommended in order to get the bias dialed in properly.

Guys, this is not a 5 minute conversion.  It will require some careful
thought and most of all: it cannot be done 'on the cheap'.  Certainly worth
every penny though.

Joe
'72 TR6 - CC77169
http://www.bowtie6.com/