Re: [6pack] fuel line issues

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] fuel line issues
From: Bob <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:32:37 -0500
On Monday 03 November 2008 17:52:22 Oliver wrote:
> tempted as i am to ask about dot 3, 4,or 5, or tire sizes, i actually have
> another question.
>
> last long trip i had a fuel issue.  put in temporary electric pump and
> drove home.  replaced mechanical fuel pump, had another fuel issue.
>
> drained the tank, took it out to be refurbed professionally, replaced all
> the rubber hoses, and put carb cleaner in and blew it out, several times
> each end.
>
> put the fuel back in, drove the car, filled it up, and just had the same
> issue.  put the electric pump back in, no fuel in the see through filter up
> front.
>
> rocked the car up and down a dozen times, and got fuel through to the
> filter.  reconnected the mechanical one, took out the electric, and drove
> home.
>
> i'm thinking i should not have put that gas back in the car; there's
> something floating in it?  or did i not sufficiently clean out the steel
> fuel line?
>
> and what to do now?  can i use bottles and bottles of carb cleaner instead?
Oliver,

What I would do is dis-connect the fuel line at the rubber hose entering the
fuel pump and hold it down a bit. When the end of the open pipe is below the
fuel level in the tank, gas should flow out the gas line. That is unless you
have a plug up or a vent problem.

If you re-use suspect gas, it is best to run it through a filter of some sort.
Those filters you get at the auto paint store with a regular funnel work
great for that application.

Bob