[6pack] J-Type Overdrive - Milestone

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] J-Type Overdrive - Milestone
From: "Corbitt, Michael" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:40:38 -0800
This evening I reached a milestone.  A year ago, I pulled my 4 speed gearbox
to add a J-Type overdrive.  I had high hopes of completing it by summer.  Well
summer plus a few more months have come and gone.  But tonight I mated the
gearbox/OD to the engine.  I've never had a gearbox open in my life, so this
is a real first for me.  I followed Nelson Riedel's documentation, and with a
few variances it was pretty much a textbook procedure.

I know the bigger test is yet to come.

As importantly, I can't help but think of the great group of people connected
to the 6Pack.  I had so much information available to me from current and past
discussions, but I didn't always use it prudently.  If the 6Pack had an annual
recognition, I might very well have been nominated for a Darwin award for some
of the stupid mistakes I made along the way.  But if we passed out a Lucas
Luminary award, it would have to go to Berry Price.  This man not only
mentored me in the tear down and rebuild of the gearbox and OD, he was always
there to provide words of encouragement, listened to my whining, laugh with me
at my mistakes, laugh at me when I complained about my mistakes and even went
so far as to fabricate all the tools in his shop that I needed to get the job
done.  What do you say about a guy like this?  Words won't express my
gratitude.  Maybe a beer is in order.  A big thanks also go out to Vance.  He
provided some needed information along the way, and took the time to provide
very detailed explanations.  Between him and Berry, I was able to get the
gearbox mounted by myself, and I'm neither a big man or a young one.  Enough
of myself.  Now where's that glass of wine.

Mike

Corvallis, OR

1969 TR6, OD