[6pack] J-Type Overdrive - Measurement Needed

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] J-Type Overdrive - Measurement Needed
From: "Corbitt, Michael" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:36:19 -0800
Now that I have my gearbox/OD attached to the engine backing plate, I need to
determine the height of the rubber bushings that fit between the OD and the
adapter plate that bolts to the original side mounts.

I'm following Jeff Brzozoski's design shown in Nelson Riedel's article,
"Adapting J Type Overdrives to TR250 & Early TR6 Frames".  Nelson's article is
easy to follow but it does not provide any dimension on the height of the
rubber bushings that are sandwiched between the horizontal adapter plate and
the OD.

Do any of you, who have installed a J-Type overdrive in your early TR6, know
how much distance should be between the OD and the adapter plate?   Basically,
I need to know the vertical distance between the TR's original side mounts and
the bottom of the OD (where it bolts into my adapter).  If I knew this, I
could determine the height of the bushings by adjusting for the thickness of
my adapter assembly.

Is the angle at which the gearbox sits between the engine and propeller shaft
not fairly important? I wish I would have had the foresight to take some
measurements before I pulled my gearbox last year.

Mike

Corvallis, OR