Re: [6pack] TR250 now running

To: Steve Lindquist <lindquistse@charter.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR250 now running
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:21:07 GMT
Steve---An interesting story, and no doubt you learned more about your TR in
the process. Meanwhile...

The "less wimpy" light produced when connecting the timing light to your Suburu
may have been because of the strength of the battery, since I believe is where
the brightness of the light comes from.

The timing probably changed again when replacing the points with the Pertronic
setup.

If the points were not making and breaking, this should've showed up with an
interrupted signal when using the light.   Same goes if the rotor was faulty.
Bad rotors (too much carbon content?) was the story that went around a year or
so ago.

A wobbly distributor shaft should also show up as a variation in timing. Easier
to spot when the engine is actually running, I must admit!

Cold weather without proper choking of the carbs could've had a lot to do with
the balky starting, once you had uncovered the original culprit.

If you REALLY want to find out what it was, one step at a time, re-install the
original rotor, cap, etc., and test in between each exchange. That's what I'd
do, but I'm a nut about these things. You'll probably find that you have a
bunch of good parts that you can use for spares!

Dick