Re: [6pack] Piston rings --> torque for turning crank

To: lfm614@aol.com, Btp44@aol.com, TR-6 list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Piston rings --> torque for turning crank
From: Cregg Cowan <cregg.cowan@sri.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:38:23 -0700
Hi Lou & Berry,

I was also curious about how hard the crank should be to turn as I'm
building up the engine.
I just measured that 21 ft-lbs of torque are required to turn my newly
rebuilt bottom end (Grant rings with King HD rod & main bearings).
Up to 24 ft-lbs is OK according to p. 30 of Vizard's book, but I'm not
completely sure if that is for just the crank and pistons.

I measured this by hanging a 15 pound weight on my breaker bar
handle.  When suspended at 14" from the center of the crank the crank did
not turn; at 15" the crank turned (15 lbs * 1.25 ft = 18.75 ft-lbs).  I
estimate the 18" breaker bar weighs 3 pounds (probably more like 2 pounds,
but I'm being conservative), so the unloaded breaker bar contributes 2.25
ft-lbs of torque (3 lbs * 0.75 ft) for a total of 21.

For this measurement the rear oil seal was installed, as was the timing
chain and cam (but no lifters, oil pump, or timing chain tensioner).

Let me know if this is not clear and I can send photos of the test setup.

Hope this helps,
Cregg