[6pack] venting problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] venting problem
From: Gordon Green <gvgreen@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 22:48:58 -0300
Your problem reminds me of one that plagued me for a couple years - when
the car got hot, especially in city traffic, it would starve of fuel and
quit. I live in a very rural area of New Brunswick, so I don't often get
into the city at all, but then I started having problems after driving
5-10 miles. I played with heat shields without much success, so finally
put an electric fuel pump in the car and that seems to have cured the
problem. I was getting a bit tired of getting stranded and having to be
towed home!
Last night I went to a meeting and took the TR6 since the weather was
nice. When I went to leave, the car started and immediately died. It
would not refire, and I didn't have my tools with me, so I had to catch
a ride home. I thought it was fuel again but went back and fuel was not
an issue. Since it was dark, I left the car until tonight, but I was not
happy!
Tonight I went back and since I had time to think it over, I decided it
had to be a catastrophic failure of something to quit so immediately. I
took a bunch of old ignition parts, pulled the distributor cap and found
that everything was in order - points OK, rotor OK, everything turning
and operating properly. I took off the nice looking coil and put on the
old grungy Lucas coil that I had replaced a couple years ago and the car
started immediately.
I have to blame myself for this one - I haven't driven the Triumph much
in the last couple years, and I haven't given it a proper tune up
lately! I'll be getting some parts and looking after this on the weekend!

Gordon in New Brunswick, Canada