Re: [6pack] Frame repair - Foam Filler?

To: "Jim Franks" <jimmble@roadrunner.com>, <DLylis@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Frame repair - Foam Filler?
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 06:17:27 -0400
I have a Ratco frame and, yes, it was filled with foam in an industrial
venue, far better than a DIY operation.  Of course it is substantially
different (new tubular steel) than an old frame  (rusted bent sheet metal)
and  using foam on an old frame is indeed a bad idea since any untreated
rust inside will continue.

Since my old rocker panels rusted off,  I used foam (closed cell stuff) to
fill my newly installed rockers/sill cavities ...the same stuff Ratco uses.

I could never insure that using any kind of liquid coating product inside
the rockers and sills would be any better. I did this in-situ after the
rockers were welded in place, not while the body was on a rotisserie (sp?).
Waxol on a detached frame is another matter, since it can be rotated.

I proceeded from one end of the sill/rocker with a friend underneath to tell
me when the stuff began to extrude through openings and worked my way to the
other end.

I guess we'll never know how it worked out. :-)
Jerry