[6pack] Transmission/Clutch issues

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Transmission/Clutch issues
From: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 22:15:19 -0400
Update on this weekend.  Decided to go ahead and reinstall the transmission
using the new clutch fork, shaft and pin that I had gotten even though there
was nothing apparent wrong with the parts removed other than slight wear.
On the install, did use 5/16 inch pilot bolts suggested and it made the job
sooo much easier than before.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Started it up on
Saturday morning and drove for 5 miles and the issues reappeared.  Without
the transmission cover on I could see I was getting good motion but I was
just not getting full disengagement and the clutch was activating with the
peddle just off the floor.  Then decided to bleed again and called a friend
to help just as I had employed my daughter for assistance.  It was then I
remembered reading about the bleeding method described in the manual.  Just
but the end from the bleeder valve in fluid, open the valve and pump the
peddle a few times.  Double checked this and decided to try this before my
friend came over.  Incredible...the peddle felt completely different and low
and behold, problem solved.  Spend 4 more hours today reinstalling
everything else including draining the 90 weight gear oil out and replacing
in with Non-detergent 30 weight and I'm done.  Even had time to give it a
wash and my winter project is over.  Transmission woes and cured, OD has
been added, new carpet installed and now all I want to do is drive.  And
just in time for Drive your British Car Week.  Thanks for all the help.

Darcy Hunter

'73 TR6

North Easton, MA