Re: [6pack] Cooling/Oil Pressure Problem

To: "shewfamily@aol.com" <shewfamily@aol.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Cooling/Oil Pressure Problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:18:05 -0700
        John:

        With the exception of the unexpected 20PSI drop at speed, everything
sounds
in spec to me. The thermostat running a little warmer than usual would explain
the slight drop in oil pressure as the oil thins when warm.
        Given the tolerance on the temp gauges and thermostats, the temp sounds
solid
to me even though it is slightly elevated. It is the occasional drop of 20 PSI
that is the concern in my book.
        No sludge or junk in the oil? When was your filter last changed? Could
it be
that the bypass valve is opening because the filter is clogged or nearly
clogged? Have you modified the oiling system, perhaps with an oil feed to the
top end? You may be having issues with oil being slow to drain back into the
crankcase, so that the pump occasionally picks up some air.
        Anything else you have noticed that might help diagnosis? Does it occur
after
spirited driving? After a left or a right turn? When going downhill or
decelerating? Etc...

        My thoughts on the subject:

        1. Change your oil filter - If it is a spin on filter, make sure it has
bypass valve in it.
        2. If your oil is due for a change, do so.
        3. If you are running an oil line to the top end, consider removing it
as a
last resort.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette