Re: [6pack] TR6 in competition

To: "Brian@asmoothmove.biz" <brian@asmoothmove.biz>
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 in competition
From: Irv Korey <ikorey@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:44:13 -0500
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Brian@asmoothmove.biz <
brian@asmoothmove.biz> wrote:

> Dear List: I went to another historic road race this past weekend and think
> I've caught the bug that some middle-aged men get. I'm thinking about
> building a race car. I'd like to hear from any of you that have prepped a
> TR6 for weekend warrior competition. Is the view worth the climb to prepare
> a '6 or should I be looking at a saloon of some type instead (Mini, GT6,
> etc.)? With the RATCO frames now available, I am thinking these days a
> person can build a pretty solild platform out of a basket case. Please tell
> me your experience. Am I crazy? Sorry, a Miata is out of the question.

Depending on where you want to race and with which group you want to race, a
TR4 might be a better choice. TR4's and TR6's run in different race groups,
and there are tons of TR4's racing, so you should always have someone to
race with. Additionally, since the TR6 is a newer car, it runs with other
newer cars (think 240Z and 911).

Prepping a car to go racing is pretty pricey. When I was looking to do it, I
was advised (it's good if you can find a mentor) to buy an existing race car
and fix it up rather than to start from scratch. I found a beat up TR4
former SCCA car that had a really excellent chassis. Rebuilding everything
and painting the car still cost a lot of $$$, but it was a lot less than
starting from scratch.

HTH,

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL
Formerly TR4 #58, now residing in Washington and wearing #78

6pack@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums