Re: [6pack] Shifting gears

To: Hugh Sutherland <sutherlandha@aol.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Shifting gears
From: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <JAR7U@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 16:40:27 -0500
First, check the master cylinder level, then bleed the system.  If that does
not fix it, then you likely have a bad master and/or slave cylinder.

Don't drive the car until you do these, because in forcing it into first, you
are putting a lot of stress on the 1st/2nd shift fork, and even though it
seems to shift "smoothly" in the other gears, you are actually putting stress
on those shift forks.  And an even more, you can be putting extra wear on the
dog teeth.