Re: [6pack] Quick Steering Rack

To: David Friedlander <forzion7@gmail.com>, 6-Pack
Subject: Re: [6pack] Quick Steering Rack
From: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:03:36 GMT
Dave---The install of the QR is straightforward. Before removing the stock
unit, have the front wheels pointed straight ahead. Hopefully the steering
wheel spokes will be symmetrical with the direction of the front wheels. The
upper section of the steering shaft should have it's safety lock screw/nut
uppermost, and also the turn signal clip in the steering column will also be
centered to the signal canceling devices.

 This sounds like a lot, but unless your steering has undergone some botched
repairs in the past, these things should be in order. Now to the rack itself...
It's good to center the pinion shaft while on the workbench before connecting
it to the lower steering shaft coupling. Do this by turning it to one extreme
either direction till it stops. If your QR rack is the 2-1/2 turns lock to lock
type, then return the rack 1-1/4 turns so it's on center. Your wheels and
steering should be as before, with no further adjustment necessary.

So far as realigning the front wheels, it's a good idea to do so. It's possible
to go back to the same alignment as before, by counting the turns and quarter
turns when unscrewing the outer ball joint.  (I use the string method to
realign the wheels.)
Andy and Cregg have made the switch to the QR more recently than I, so they may
have more or better input.

Dick

6pack@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html