Re: [6pack] Strange Vibration

To: RW <rmweber_99@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Strange Vibration
From: David Friedlander via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 08:51:00 -0400
Cc: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>

--94eb2c1239e43ba3a6053af8f979

Not sure I understand how a steering rack can be a source of
speed-related vibration....

Dave

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM, RW via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Hi Sloane,
> I sympathize with you. I've been going through the exact same thing since
> I rebuilt my TR6 10 years ago. When it first started happening, right
> around 50mph, I could feel it slightly in my seat. All the universal
> joints, all the suspension parts and links were new from my frame off. I
> rotated the brand new tires and rebalanced which didn't seem to help. I
> bought replacement steel wheels, dial indicated them and and remounted the
> tires on the best I had with no change. I purchased some Minilites, no
> change (but I wanted to get those anyway and the car looks cool). I
> replaced the rear hubs with Goodpart hubs. A slight change in the seat
> vibration but still there. After a couple more years, the vibration got
> steadily worse and the front end started vibrating quite noticeably at 50.
> I ended up removing the front wheel hubs and truing them up in my lathe. No
> change. I've now replaced just about everything and was at the end of the
> line until I mentioned it to a friend of mine with a Six a few states away
> who I see occasionally at TR events. He had the same problem and went
> through similar trials and tribulations until he rebuilt the steering rack.
> That cured it for his case. Thats now on my list for the winter months as a
> last resort to try.
>
> I'm not saying this is your problem but it might be something to consider.
> Have any other 6pack members experienced anything similar with their
> steering racks?
>
> Ron
>

> On 8/25/2016 3:27 PM, John Cyganowski via 6pack wrote:
>
> If our tires are worn out I think I would get new ones now. An alignment
> might not be a bad idea either.  These are thinks that should be done
> regardless and it will eliminate them as the source of the vibration and
> may eliminate the vibration altogether.
>
> John Cyg
> CC52927LO
> 70 Damson

> options/6pack/forzion7@gmail.com

--94eb2c1239e43ba3a6053af8f979

ns ms,sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,153)">Not sure I understand how a steering r=
ass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;color:r=
=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM, RW via 6pack <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:6pack@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">6pack@a=
yle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
      I sympathize with you. I&#39;ve been going through the exact same
      thing since I rebuilt my TR6 10 years ago. When it first started
      happening, right around 50mph, I could feel it slightly in my
      seat. All the universal joints, all the suspension parts and links
      were new from my frame off. I rotated the brand new tires and
      rebalanced which didn&#39;t seem to help. I bought replacement steel
      wheels, dial indicated them and and remounted the tires on the
      best I had with no change. I purchased some Minilites, no change
      (but I wanted to get those anyway and the car looks cool). I
      replaced the rear hubs with Goodpart hubs. A slight change in the
      seat vibration but still there. After a couple more years, the
      vibration got steadily worse and the front end started vibrating
      quite noticeably at 50. I ended up removing the front wheel hubs
      and truing them up in my lathe. No change. I&#39;ve now replaced just
      about everything and was at the end of the line until I mentioned
      it to a friend of mine with a Six a few states away who I see
      occasionally at TR events. He had the same problem and went
      through similar trials and tribulations until he rebuilt the
      steering rack. That cured it for his case. Thats now on my list
      for the winter months as a last resort to try. <br>
      I&#39;m not saying this is your problem but it might be something to
      consider. Have any other 6pack members experienced anything
      similar with their steering racks?<br>
      On 8/25/2016 3:27 PM, John Cyganowski via 6pack wrote:<br>
eue,Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Arial,Lucida Grande,sans-serif;font-size:16px"=

          now.=C2=A0An alignment might not be a bad idea either.=C2=A0 Thes=
e are
          thinks that should be done regardless and it will eliminate
          them as the source of the vibration and may eliminate the
          vibration altogether.</div>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http://w=