Re: [6pack] PDWA - Pressure Differential Warning Actuator

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] PDWA - Pressure Differential Warning Actuator
From: John Cyganowski via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 18:46:01 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_1960694_556307337.1565117161116

 I will toss in a few more cents to this discussion.=C2=A0
Firstly, what is this thing and what does it do? =C2=A0I have heard =E2=80=
=9Cregulator=E2=80=9D, =E2=80=9Cbrake circuit balancer=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=
=9Cvalve=E2=80=9D etc. =C2=A0It is none of these. It is a pressure switch. =
Period. It is a part of a safety system to alert the driver of an unsafe co=
ndition in the brake system. It is one the few safety system in these cars.=
 One side of the switch is open to the front brake circuit and the other si=
de of the switch is open to the rear brake circuit. There is a cross over t=
hat contains a metal shuttle. When the driver steps on the brakes, if the p=
ressure in one circuit is lower than the pressure in the other circuit, the=
 shuttle moves toward the low pressure circuit depressing the switch mounte=
d on the cross over establishing a ground and lighting the brake fault ligh=
t.=C2=A0
The front and back circuits are Isolated by seals on the shuttle. There are=
 2 types of PDWAs. One uses double o-ring seals on each side of the shuttle=
 to prevent a fluid leak and to allow pressure to be maintained in the circ=
uit. The replacement o-rings are available from the usual suspects. This is=
 the most common type of pressure switch. There is another type with seals =
that are like little moulded rubber cups mounted ends of the shuttle. I don=
=E2=80=99t know if these seals are still made.
Like any seal they can get old and disintegrate (they swell with contact to=
 glycol based brake fluids) and they should be replaced. It is a very simil=
ar with wear components like the brake pads and shoes. They wear out and ha=
ve to be replaced. When the seals fail, the individual circuits do not inte=
rmix. Because the brake circuits are both under pressure, the fluid looks f=
or the path of least resistance and it leaks out the threads of the actuato=
r switch. The leaking fluid will eat your paint quick undiscovered.=C2=A0
It is neither hard nor difficult to remedy the seals in the PDWA and keep a=
 working safety system that could possibly save your life or the life of yo=
ur passenger. =C2=A0But it is your car and we all have our own threshold of=
 risk. I think it is irresponsible to recommend that someone make modificat=
ions to defeat a safety system on a mission critical system like brakes. =
=C2=A0YMMV.=C2=A0
John Cyg70 DamsonCC9252LO

------=_Part_1960694_556307337.1565117161116

=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px=
;"><div></div>
;I have heard =E2=80=9Cregulator=E2=80=9D, =E2=80=9Cbrake circuit balancer=
=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=9Cvalve=E2=80=9D etc. &nbsp;It is none of these. It is =
[...]
r passenger. &nbsp;But it is your car and we all have our own threshold of =
risk. I think it is irresponsible to recommend that someone make modificati=
ons to defeat a safety system on a mission critical system like brakes. &nb=
------=_Part_1960694_556307337.1565117161116--