[6pack] Anticipation

To: TR6 <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Anticipation
From: Richard Lindsay via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:15:11 -0500

--00000000000002f8fb058ff12fe0

Hello Friends,
   With my '75 TR6 heading to the paint shop for a nice two-stage Carmine
Red respray, I find myself getting excited about the reassembly process. I
have a new beige interior waiting to go in after I get the brown carpet
installed. Let me share a few pictures to better tell some of the story.

   First up, here is the interior, stripped and ready for reassembly. The
inner paint is Rustoleum burgundy paint, tinted darker with leftover black
paint. The goal here is rust proofing, not 'pretty'. All of the metal is
sound and rust free.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190311_151429.jpg

   The carpets will be dark brown with black gators on the handbrake and
gear lever. Here's the tunnel cover, already upholstered and waiting to go
in.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190324_090543.jpg

   The black vinyl bits of the dash are all new and in their boxes waiting.
The original wooden dash was water damaged and de-laminating. The walnut
veneer was peeling off. Here's how it looked upon arrival at my shop.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/P1000380.JPG

   I carefully removed the instruments, lights and controls then lifted
away the plywood dashboard. After cleaning, my first step was stabilizing
and restoring the wood. I did so by re-cementing all the lamina of the
plywood with Gorilla Glue for Wood.
   Once that process was complete and the glue cured, I painted (read:
saturated) the entire dashboard with Minwax Wood Hardener. Two coats of
that product left the original plywood substrate (almost as) strong as new,
if ugly. I next sanded all surfaces in preparation for the next step: new
veneer.
   Okay, by now you're probably thinking, "Why did he go to all that
trouble when new, beautiful dashboards are available?" The answer is
simple. Its a labor of love. The pleasure is in the 'doing' as much so as
the result. Okay, with that out of the way...
   While waiting for glue and hardeners to cure, I tested stains on scraps
of veneer. Sadly I didn't document the colors I used but I remember it was
two Minwax stains, appied one over the other. But I'm getting ahead of
myself.
   I thought about the Carmine Red paint choice (original) and the beige
upholstery (color also original) then looked through my stash of veneer. I
had a sheet of walnut but it was straight grain and offered little
'interest'. Also laying about was a sheet of curly maple veneer. I found it
interesting so I tested the stain choice. My decision was made.
   Back at the plywood I cleaned away all sanding dust, painted on a coat
of glue and applied the veneer. I rolled out all the air bubbles then
weighted down the veneer with every book and gallon paint can that I had
sitting about. Two days later I trimmed the edges and roughly cut the
larger openings with an Exacto knife. A couple of hours with the Dremel and
a sanding disk had the openings routed in. A small grind stone in the
Dremel finished the small holes. My garage was covered in fine sawdust as
one might imagine so I swept and vacuumed for another day.
   With the veneer carefully sanded with #400 sandpaper, and vacuumed
clean, I applied the first coat of stain. A day later, the second and final
color was applied.  Two days after that, the first of three coats of
urethane clear coat went on. Here's how it looks.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190116_111637.jpg

   The color is not quite as vibrant as the camera's flash makes it appear,
but it does complement the beige upholstery. The =C3=BCber clever ones amon=
g you
may notice that I did not cut the hole for the dash light rheostat! It is
to be omitted. The instruments are going back in with non-dimmable LED
lamps. And speaking of instruments...

   The gauges and lamps came apart for cleaning, testing and refinishing.
They were a mess, as anticipated, but no repairs were needed.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190113_111736.jpg

   The black trim on most of the chrome bezels was damaged. I stripped it
off, cleaned the chrome and reassembled a couple of the gauges. They just
didn't look right so back apart they came. I primered then sprayed all the
bezels with satin black and that did the trick, especially against the
lighter wood dash. Here's how they look, awaiting reassembly.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190113_125147.jpg

   New knobs and switches are in hand. The wiper switch had died, as had
the headlight master switch. The warning light bezels cleaned up okay so
they will (probably) be reused.

   That's it for now. If interested, I'll share engine, wheels, brakes,
suspension, etc., restoration stories. Until then, I hope you enjoyed the
post as much as I enjoyed reliving it.

Rick

--00000000000002f8fb058ff12fe0

;75 TR6 heading to the paint shop for a nice two-stage Carmine Red respray,=
 I find myself getting excited about the reassembly process. I have a new b=
eige interior waiting to go in after I get the brown carpet installed. Let =
me share a few pictures to better tell some of the story.=C2=A0</div><div d=
interior, stripped and ready for reassembly. The inner paint is Rustoleum b=
urgundy paint, tinted darker with leftover black paint. The goal here is ru=
st proofing, not &#39;pretty&#39;. All of the metal is sound and rust free.=
d.us/75_Triumph/20190311_151429.jpg">http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190311_1=
 =C2=A0The carpets will be dark brown with black gators on the handbrake an=
d gear lever. Here&#39;s the tunnel cover, already upholstered and waiting =
p://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190324_090543.jpg">http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/2=
o">=C2=A0 =C2=A0The black vinyl bits of the dash are all new and in their b=
oxes waiting. The original wooden dash was water damaged and de-laminating.=
 The walnut veneer was peeling off. Here&#39;s how it looked upon arrival a=
tp://aubard.us/75_Triumph/P1000380.JPG">http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/P100038=
=A0I carefully removed the instruments, lights and controls then lifted awa=
y the plywood dashboard. After cleaning, my first step was stabilizing and =
restoring the wood. I did so by re-cementing all the lamina of the plywood =
with Gorilla Glue for Wood.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Once that p=
rocess was complete and the glue cured, I painted (read: saturated) the ent=
ire dashboard with Minwax Wood Hardener. Two coats of that product left the=
 original plywood substrate (almost as) strong as new, if ugly. I next sand=
ed all surfaces in preparation for the next step: new veneer.</div><div dir=
=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Okay, by now you&#39;re probably thinking, &quot;Why=
 did he go to all that trouble when new, beautiful dashboards are available=
?&quot; The answer is simple. Its a labor of love. The pleasure is in the &=
#39;doing&#39; as much so as the result. Okay, with that out of the way...<=
/div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0While waiting for glue and hardeners to=
 cure, I tested stains on scraps of veneer. Sadly I didn&#39;t document the=
 colors I used but I remember it was two Minwax stains, appied one over the=
 other. But I&#39;m getting ahead of myself.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =
=C2=A0I thought about the Carmine Red paint choice (original) and the beige=
 upholstery (color also original) then looked through my stash of veneer. I=
 had a sheet of walnut but it was straight grain and offered little &#39;in=
terest&#39;. Also laying about was a sheet of curly maple veneer. I found i=
t interesting so I tested the stain choice. My decision was made.</div><div=
 dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Back at the plywood I cleaned away all sanding d=
ust, painted on a coat of glue and applied the veneer. I rolled out all the=
 air bubbles then weighted down the veneer with every book and gallon paint=
 can that I had sitting about. Two days later I trimmed the edges and rough=
ly cut the larger openings with an Exacto knife. A couple of hours with the=
 Dremel and a sanding disk had the openings routed in. A small grind stone =
in the Dremel finished the small holes. My garage was covered in fine sawdu=
st as one might imagine so I swept and vacuumed for another day.</div><div =
dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0With the veneer carefully sanded with #400 sandpa=
per, and vacuumed clean, I applied the first coat of stain. A day later, th=
e second and final color was applied.=C2=A0 Two days after that, the first =
of three coats of urethane clear coat went on. Here&#39;s how it looks.</di=
/75_Triumph/20190116_111637.jpg">http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190116_11163=
=A0The color is not quite as vibrant as the camera&#39;s flash makes it app=
ear, but it does complement the beige upholstery. The =C3=BCber clever ones=
 among you may notice that I did not cut the hole for the dash light rheost=
at! It is to be omitted. The instruments are going back in with non-dimmabl=
v><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0The gauges and lamps came apart for cleani=
ng, testing and refinishing. They were a mess, as anticipated, but no repai=
=3D"http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190113_111736.jpg";>http://aubard.us/75_Tr=
=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0The black trim on most of the chrome bezels was dama=
ged. I stripped it off, cleaned the chrome and reassembled a couple of the =
gauges. They just didn&#39;t look right so back apart they came. I primered=
 then sprayed all the bezels with satin black and that did the trick, espec=
ially against the lighter wood dash. Here&#39;s how they look, awaiting rea=
://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190113_125147.jpg">http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20=
">=C2=A0 =C2=A0New knobs and switches are in hand. The wiper switch had die=
d, as had the headlight master switch. The warning light bezels cleaned up =
iv dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0That&#39;s it for now. If interested, I&#39;ll=
 share engine, wheels, brakes, suspension, etc., restoration stories. Until=
 then, I hope you enjoyed the post as much as I enjoyed reliving it.</div><=

--00000000000002f8fb058ff12fe0--