[6pack] Restoration, on a budget: zinc

To: TR6 <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Restoration, on a budget: zinc
From: Richard Lindsay via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 07:19:14 -1000

--000000000000605d7305902b13cd

Hello Friends,
   My family is from Scotland and the phrase, 'Scott free' is not just an
accident. We are frugal. Said another way, we tend to know how to
economize.  Here's an example.
   My TR6 project, independent of how pretty it turns out, is to be a
'driver'. Its not original but its also not butchered. Now let me put this
and the previous paragraph together.
   Around here, having parts plated with yellow zinc chromate is a
challenge. Either a shop to do the work is hard to find or said shop looses
NLA parts! The hassle, risk, and the cost are just not worth it for a
'driver'. So what does one do? Paint...and I don't mean a fancy, expensive
multi-step kit.
   I just go to the autoparts store and select a can of spray touchup paint
in about yellow zinc chromate color. I then spray the clean and degreased
part with a light coat of silver/aluminum engine paint. Then, while the
silver paint is still wet, I spray a very light dusting of the chosen
yellow-gold color paint, sprayed from way back so that it isn't even. The
color dusting melts into the silver paint leaving a pleasant almost yellow
zinc appearance. Perfect? Oh heck no. But it is certainly acceptable for my
driver projects, and the cost is about eight dollars to do every part
needed on a dozen cars!
   Here are the door latches for my TR6. They will be just fine.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190227_094022.jpg

   Here are the window lift bits, done the same, for no reason other than
they needed rust proofing - and I wanted to do so. Also helped with the
practicing.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190306_110721.jpg

Rick

--000000000000605d7305902b13cd

=C2=A0 =C2=A0My family is from Scotland and the phrase, &#39;Scott free&#39=
; is not just an accident. We are frugal. Said another way, we tend to know=
 how to economize.=C2=A0 Here&#39;s an example.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0My TR6 project, independent of how pretty it turns out, is to be =
a &#39;driver&#39;. Its not original but its also not butchered. Now let me=
 put this and the previous paragraph together.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0Around here, having parts plated with yellow zinc=C2=A0<span styl=
e=3D"font-family:sans-serif">chromate</span>=C2=A0is a challenge. Either a =
shop to do the work is hard to find or said shop looses NLA parts! The hass=
le, risk, and the cost are just not worth it for a &#39;driver&#39;. So wha=
t does one do? Paint...and I don&#39;t mean a fancy, expensive multi-step k=
it.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I just go to the autoparts store an=
d select a can of spray touchup paint in about yellow zinc chromate color. =
I then spray the clean and degreased part with a light coat of silver/alumi=
num engine paint. Then, while the silver paint is still wet, I spray a very=
 light dusting of the chosen yellow-gold color paint, sprayed from way back=
 so that it isn&#39;t even. The color dusting melts into the silver paint l=
eaving a pleasant almost yellow zinc appearance. Perfect? Oh heck no. But i=
t is certainly acceptable for my driver projects, and the cost is about eig=
ht dollars to do every part needed on a dozen cars!</div><div dir=3D"auto">=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0Here are the door latches for my TR6. They will be just fine.<=
90227_094022.jpg">http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190227_094022.jpg</a><div d=
ft bits, done the same, for no reason other than they needed rust proofing =
- and I wanted to do so. Also helped with the practicing.</div><div dir=3D"=
190306_110721.jpg">http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20190306_110721.jpg</a><br><=

--000000000000605d7305902b13cd--