Re: [6pack] VINs

To: Andrew Uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] VINs
From: Glenn Rattmann via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 14:48:51 -0800
Cc: 6pack@autox.team.net

--=====================_-1904913796==.ALT

Andrew, what flavor of TR is it?

My 74.5 TR6 which I bought new has factory OD and the number is CF+5
digits+UO suffix (that's "Oh" the letter, and not zero)-- as expected.

Oddly enough, I have another 74.5 without OD (which had 2 DPOs) , and
its VIN suffix is just the letter U, factory nameplate on the driver
door post as expected.
However, somebody (not me) along the way had entered the letter V
instead of the U, so the pink slip is wrong and my insurance cards
are also wrong.
I didn't notice this myself 'til a couple of years ago.

There is a process in CA DMV to fix this, but it will require an
appointment with one of their inspector guys.  When folks sell a car,
they usually write some information
on the sales form by hand, and so that is likely how the U became
"like" a V.  After that the DMV data entry person in Sacramento
interpreted and typed it as a V, I  assume.

-Glenn/San Diego
74.5

At 01:13 PM 11/6/2019, you wrote:

>I just went to get a title on a TR which came with a factory
>overdrive.  The old title appropriately ended "LO", but I was told
>that "Os" and "Is" are no longer acceptable in titles.  So I had to
>change the VIN (on the title) to "L0".  Then I had to call the
>insurance company to explain the same story to them and have them
>send me a proof of insurance with "L0".
>
>Anyone else come across this?  Maybe it has been going on for
>years:  I have 4 cars with overdrive, but this was the first factory one.
>
>Andrew Uprichard
>Jackson, MI

--=====================_-1904913796==.ALT

My 74.5 TR6 which I bought new has factory OD and the number is CF+5
digits+UO suffix (that's &quot;Oh&quot; the letter, and not zero)-- as
expected.<br><br>
Oddly enough, I have another 74.5 without OD (which had 2 DPOs) , and its
VIN suffix is just the letter U, factory nameplate on the driver door
post as expected.<br>
However, somebody (not me) along the way had entered the letter V instead
of the U, so the pink slip is wrong and my insurance cards are also
wrong.<br>
I didn't notice this myself 'til a couple of years ago.<br><br>
There is a process in CA DMV to fix this, but it will require an
appointment with one of their inspector guys.&nbsp; When folks sell a
car, they usually write some information <br>
on the sales form by hand, and so that is likely how the U became
&quot;like&quot; a V.&nbsp; After that the DMV data entry person in
Sacramento interpreted and typed it as a V, I&nbsp; assume.&nbsp;&nbsp;
-Glenn/San Diego<br>
74.5<br><br>
At 01:13 PM 11/6/2019, you wrote:<br><br>
TR which came with a factory overdrive.&nbsp; The old title appropriately
ended ?LO?, but I was told that ?Os? and ?Is? are no longer acceptable in
titles.&nbsp; So I had to change the VIN (on the title) to ?L0?.&nbsp;
Then I had to call the insurance company to explain the same story to
them and have them send me a proof of insurance with ?L0?.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Anyone else come across this?&nbsp; Maybe it has been going on for
years:&nbsp; I have 4 cars with overdrive, but this was the first factory
one.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Andrew Uprichard<br>