[6pack] Quiet here...

To: TR6 <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Quiet here...
From: Richard Lindsay via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 13:24:35 -0600

--0000000000009f4e1f059d88a47b

Hello Friends,
   At the risk of alienating some members, this is a post about restoring
my TR6. It also contains a few asides.
   My shingles pain is a bit more manageable today and outside, its a
'yummy sunny day', to quote Winnie-the-Pooh. So I decided to go to the
shop. Good decision.
   Upon arrival I took a moment and asked myself, "What to do?" Answer:
Spend some time working on the TR6. But before that work began, I removed
the packaging and installed the new floor mats in the Nissan pickup. I even
drilled a hole in the driver side mat and attached it to the built-in
retainer. Doing so reduced the likelihood of unintended
'Italian-cruise-control'.
   Over on the TR6 I decided to install the new fiberboard ducting between
the grill and the radiator. Its held in place by five screws. The outermost
two of these screws also secure brackets between the front grill assembly
and the inner wheel-wells. Now installed, the whole front 'clip' is quite
stiff and vibration free.
   I spent a bit more time in the engine room cleaning away dust and any
lasting remnants of the earlier water pump leak. I then started the engine,
admired the vibration free smoothness of the beautifully balanced, three
plane L6 engine, and marveled at the amazing Ansa exhaust note.
   I used up a little more time admiring the machine. I searched for fuel,
coolant, and oil leaks but found none. I then shut the engine down and
returned my attention to the upholstery.
   I first trimmed and cemented the upholstery to the left-hand inner wheel
arch. I weighted the upholstery material down with a sledge hammer thereby
keeping the material tight as the cement cured. I next moved to the other
side where the wheel arch upholstery was already installed. I placed the
upholstery panel in place and guaranteed that it fit properly. It can't go
in until the parcel shelf carpet is in but trial fitting the panel was fun.
   I next installed the rubber seal for the rear of the bonnet. It looks
great but now the bonnet will no longer latch! I had adjusted the latch
without the molding in place. I now have to readjust the latch and corner
bumpers.
   Using the last few minutes that I had before heading home, I decided to
do something frivolous. I pulled the first of the bullet racing mirrors
from the box and admired its flawless chrome finish. I took it to the car
and immediately noticed that the mirror's mounting holes didn't match the
holes in the door. The mirror uses bolts from within the door and up into
the mirror base. All parts needed came with the mirror but the holes in the
door are for sheetmetal screws. However, there is a solution.
   I held the mirror in the ideal viewing position and verified that the
old mounting holes were invisible when covered by the new mirror's base
gasket! I next placed the gasket on the door and marked drill holes.
Fortunately I could align the base with one of the old holes. Using that as
my positioning guide, I marked the second hole location. Drill time!
   I gauged then loaded a 1/4" drill bit in my cordless drill. In position,
I eased the drill's trigger 'on' and began cutting metal. Not 20 seconds
later the bit slowed then stopped. Dead battery. I installed the spare
battery. Also dead. So I packed up both batteries and brought them home to
charge. When the first one is charged I will take both batteries AND the
charger back to the shop! I hope to install two mirrors tomorrow!
   Also tomorrow, the upholstery cement should be cured and the wheel arch
will be finished. If so, I will install the parcel shelf carpet leaving the
rear of the cockpit ready for the left, right and rear upholstery panels.
Those panels will close the rear cockpit and finish that area!

   That's my morning. Back home with lunch in my 'tummy', although not from
the honey jar, I am reading and writing while I wait for the next dose of
gabapentin to help manage the nerve pain.

Happy, happy,

Rick, TR6 owner in Houston, Texas

--0000000000009f4e1f059d88a47b

rgin:16px 0px"><div style=3D""><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">Hello Friends,<=
/div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0At the risk of alienating so=
me members, this is a post about restoring my TR6. It also contains a few a=
sides.=C2=A0<br><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0My shingles pain =
is a bit more manageable today and outside, its a &#39;yummy sunny day&#39;=
, to quote Winnie-the-Pooh. So I decided to go to the shop. Good decision.<=
/div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Upon arrival I took a moment=
 and asked myself, &quot;What to do?&quot; Answer: Spend some time working =
on the TR6. But before that work began, I removed the packaging and install=
ed the new floor mats in the Nissan pickup. I even drilled a hole in the dr=
iver side mat and attached it to the built-in retainer. Doing so reduced th=
e likelihood of unintended &#39;Italian-cruise-control&#39;.</div><div dir=
=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Over on the TR6 I decided to install the =
new fiberboard ducting between the grill and the radiator. Its held in plac=
e by five screws. The outermost two of these screws also secure brackets be=
tween the front grill assembly and the inner wheel-wells. Now installed, th=
e whole front &#39;clip&#39; is quite stiff and vibration free.</div><div d=
ir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I spent a bit more time in the engine r=
oom cleaning away dust and any lasting remnants of the earlier water pump l=
eak. I then started the engine, admired the vibration free smoothness of th=
e beautifully balanced, three plane L6 engine, and marveled at the amazing =
Ansa exhaust note.</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I used up=
 a little more time admiring the machine. I searched for fuel, coolant, and=
 oil leaks but found none. I then shut the engine down and returned my atte=
ntion to the upholstery.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=
=A0I first trimmed and cemented the upholstery to the left-hand inner wheel=
 arch. I weighted the upholstery material down with a sledge hammer thereby=
 keeping the material tight as the cement cured. I next moved to the other =
side where the wheel arch upholstery was already installed. I placed the up=
holstery panel in place and guaranteed that it fit properly. It can&#39;t g=
o in until the parcel shelf carpet is in but trial fitting the panel was fu=
n.</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I next installed the rubb=
er seal for the rear of the bonnet. It looks great but now the bonnet will =
no longer latch! I had adjusted the latch without the molding in place. I n=
ow have to readjust the latch and corner bumpers.</div><div dir=3D"auto" st=
yle=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Using the last few minutes that I had before heading =
home, I decided to do something frivolous. I pulled the first of the bullet=
 racing mirrors from the box and admired its flawless chrome finish. I took=
 it to the car and immediately noticed that the mirror&#39;s mounting holes=
 didn&#39;t match the holes in the door. The mirror uses bolts from within =
the door and up into the mirror base. All parts needed came with the mirror=
 but the holes in the door are for sheetmetal screws. However, there is a s=
or in the ideal viewing position and verified that the old mounting holes w=
ere invisible when covered by the new mirror&#39;s base gasket! I next plac=
ed the gasket on the door and marked drill holes. Fortunately I could align=
 the base with one of the old holes. Using that as my positioning guide, I =
marked the second hole location. Drill time!</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=
=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I gauged then loaded a 1/4&quot; drill bit in my cordles=
s drill. In position, I eased the drill&#39;s trigger &#39;on&#39; and bega=
n cutting metal. Not 20 seconds later the bit slowed then stopped. Dead bat=
tery. I installed the spare battery. Also dead. So I packed up both batteri=
es and brought them home to charge. When the first one is charged I will ta=
ke both batteries AND the charger back to the shop! I hope to install two m=
irrors tomorrow!</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Also tomorr=
ow, the upholstery cement should be cured and the wheel arch will be finish=
ed. If so, I will install the parcel shelf carpet leaving the rear of the c=
ockpit ready for the left, right and rear upholstery panels. Those panels w=
ill close the rear cockpit and finish that area!</div><div dir=3D"auto" sty=
orning. Back home with lunch in my &#39;tummy&#39;, although not from the h=
oney jar, I am reading and writing while I wait for the next dose of gabape=
/div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"">Happy, happy,</div><div dir=3D"auto" styl=

--0000000000009f4e1f059d88a47b--