[6pack] Seat rebuild, part 1

To: TR6 <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Seat rebuild, part 1
From: Richard Lindsay via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 06:22:38 -0600

--000000000000c37f51059e742551

Hello Friends,
   Today I will paint the TR6's driver's seat frame and clean up the
rubberized canvas straps that go across the seat back, supporting the foam.
Also while the paint drys I will disassemble the headrest and clean the
chrome shaft that fits down onto the seat back. Both the foam and
upholstery kits include materials to rebuild the headrests.
   After the passenger seat is also disassembled down to the frame I will
sand, paint and lubricate the pivots on that frame too. The paint on the
driver's side frame should then be dry, even in this cold air, by the time
I finish disassembly and prep on the second seat. Assembly on the first
seat can then begin.
   I'll take lots of pictures, of course. Assembly begins with attaching
the straps across the seat back. They have metal wires at each end that
simply poke into holes in the frame. Material stretch has caused the straps
to be a bit looser than when new but not so much so as to cause the foam to
fit poorly. Rather, the ends of the straps may be a bit loose in the frame,
at least until the upholstery is on. So to make sure everything stays
connected, I will place a length of duct tape along each side after the
straps are installed.
   The seat bottom diaphragms go in next. I bought new diaphragms and they
came with new attachment hooks. Attaching the last of the hooks may be a
bit of a challenge since the rubber diaphragm is stretched taught when
properly installed. Still, that should be no real problem. (Famous last
words!)
   With all the support bits in place, the foam can be fitted. It just sits
in place, later to be held in place by the upholstery. The center sections
of the seat bottom and seat back are cemented to the foam. This step
guarantees a smooth fit across those panels, and keeps the upholstery from
moving laterally when climbing in and out of the car.
   I'll write more and include photographs as the reassembly progresses. I
could second guess the procedure but that's already written up in the
provided assembly notes. The more interesting details (Yea right!) will be
in the steps and mistakes made as the process evolves. Until then, au
revoir.

Rick

--000000000000c37f51059e742551

an><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:sans-serif">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Today I =
will paint the TR6&#39;s driver&#39;s seat frame and clean up the rubberize=
d canvas straps that go across the seat back, supporting the foam. Also whi=
le the paint drys I will disassemble the headrest and clean the chrome shaf=
t that fits down onto the seat back. Both the foam and upholstery kits incl=
ude materials to rebuild the headrests.</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"fon=
t-family:sans-serif">=C2=A0 =C2=A0After the passenger seat is also disassem=
bled down to the frame I will sand, paint and lubricate the pivots on that =
frame too. The paint on the driver&#39;s side frame should then be dry, eve=
n in this cold air, by the time I finish disassembly and prep on the second=
 seat. Assembly on the first seat can then begin.</div><div dir=3D"auto" st=
yle=3D"font-family:sans-serif">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I&#39;ll take lots of pictures,=
 of course. Assembly begins with attaching the straps across the seat back.=
 They have metal wires at each end that simply poke into holes in the frame=
. Material stretch has caused the straps to be a bit looser than when new b=
ut not so much so as to cause the foam to fit poorly. Rather, the ends of t=
he straps may be a bit loose in the frame, at least until the upholstery is=
 on. So to make sure everything stays connected, I will place a length of d=
uct tape along each side after the straps are installed.</div><div dir=3D"a=
uto" style=3D"font-family:sans-serif">=C2=A0 =C2=A0The seat bottom diaphrag=
ms go in next. I bought new diaphragms and they came with new attachment ho=
oks. Attaching the last of the hooks may be a bit of a challenge since the =
rubber diaphragm is stretched taught when properly installed. Still, that s=
hould be no real problem. (Famous last words!)</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=
=3D"font-family:sans-serif">=C2=A0 =C2=A0With all the support bits in place=
, the foam can be fitted. It just sits in place, later to be held in place =
by the upholstery. The center sections of the seat bottom and seat back are=
 cemented to the foam. This step guarantees a smooth fit across those panel=
s, and keeps the upholstery from moving laterally when climbing in and out =
of the car.</div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:sans-serif">=C2=A0 =
=C2=A0I&#39;ll write more and include photographs as the reassembly progres=
ses. I could second guess the procedure but that&#39;s already written up i=